Host a Birthday Party for Less than $100

Have a Birthday party coming up?  Need to feed a lot of people?  Think it's going to cost you an arm and a leg?  Think again.  Here is how I pulled off a birthday party for under $100 for 20 people.  Follow these tips for a fun and surprisingly cheap birthday party extravaganza.

Keep the Menu Simple
You don't need to have a million items to have a full birthday party.  I like to have a couple of appetizers, a main course, and cake, of course.  I've hosted enough birthday parties to know keeping it simple is the way to go.  I dialed it back on a lot of items because I routinely was over spending and the excess menu items weren't eaten or there were ungodly amounts of leftovers.  This menu still left us with leftovers, but I can use it for dinners later in the week and I know the kiddos will eat it.

The Menu
Here is the menu I used for this party.  

Appetizer 1
Chips and Salsa
Appetizer 2
Crudites (veggies and dip)
Main Course
Pulled Pork Sandwiches
Veggie
Caesar Salad
Starch
Homemade Mac and Cheese
Dessert
Cake, of course

The Shopping List
Here's what I bought and what I spent.

Tortillia chips - 2 bags 2.38
Salsa 1.99
Baby carrots - 1 bag 0.59
Grape tomatoes 1.89
Seedless cucumber 1.25
Grapes 1.94
Onion dip 0.99
Pork butt 11.91
BBQ sauce 2.39
Sliced American cheese 4.99
Brioche dinner rolls 7.00
Elbow macaroni - 2 lb. box 1.45
Evaporated milk - 2 cans 1.20
Cheddar cheese - 4 blocks 7.16
1 bag shredded cheese 2.49
Caesar salad kits - 3 bags 5.97
Soda - 3 2 liter bottles 2.97
Bottle of wine 9.99
Cake 25.99
Paper plates 1.79
Napkins 1.59
TOTAL 97.92

I know prices fluctuate, so I am always flexible and can adjust the menu based on pricing and seasonal items.  I also took some shortcuts (e.g., store bought cake and salad kits), which I could save some more money if I did everything from scratch.  In this case, the time savings was worth the slightly higher expense.


Say "Yes" When Others Offer to Bring Things
There's no shame in accepting contributions from others to the party.  I always like to bring a hostess gift when I go to a party so I have no problem when someone wants to bring one to mine.  If asked, I usually ask for appetizers or a bottle of wine (or beer).  I also know who typically brings certain items and make sure to ask others to fill in the gaps (you don't need 10 appetizers).

So, there are my secrets.  Keep it simple and accept help when offered.  Have a great birthday party!!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Best Mac N Cheese on the Planet

Southwest Corn and Black Bean Salad

DIY High-End Cheese Plate