How to Be Healthy and Save Money at Work

So lunch time at work has become my nemesis of spending money and eating unhealthy.  It's way too easy to "forget" lunch and "need" to stop somewhere to pick up a quick, pricy, and often unhealthy lunch option.  So, with my New Year's resolution of trying to be more healthy and spend less money, here are my tips for keeping myself in line during lunch time at work.

Get a Refrigerator
Of course, this is a bit of a splurge, but I promise over time it actually saves money.  I bought one of those little refrigerators.  You know the ones we had in the dorm room in college.  I actually bought it when I was pumping and had to store breast milk (obviously super convenient for that).  But I've also learned that it is super handy for keeping lots of healthy snacks on hand which saves me from running to the vending machine or the nearby convenience store.  Some of my favorites include yogurt, cheese sticks, coffee creamer, salad dressing, ketchup, and obviously my lunch for the day.  You may need to practice some self control so you aren't eating 6 yogurts in one day, but I've found that as long as I stock it with healthy options, I tend to keep myself in check.

Bring Healthy and Easy Options to Work
With your handy dandy refrigerator, it's easy to bring in lunch and not worry about losing it or forgetting it in the big communal refrigerator.  I love salads and I've found the salad kits are great for one or two lunches.  I'm also a big fan of broccoli slaw.  With the salad dressing in the refrigerator, I only need to add some sunflower seeds and dried cranberries for a delicious, quick, and healthy lunch.  The more you can plan out your week and bring healthy options to work, the less tempted you will be to go out and spend money on less healthy fare.

Use the Resources Provided by Work
I like to use items provided by work.  There is a microwave, coffee maker, paper plates, plastic cutlery, napkins, etc.  They are basic items, but I make the most of them.  Instead of bringing in plastic-ware filled with salad, for example, I can leave a bag of salad in my refrigerator and use the paper plates instead.  Similarly, I can make a cup of coffee in the Keurig and then use my own creamer, which saves on the expensive coffee runs.  I also like to charge my cell phone at work so I typically leave my charger there.

Go to the Gym
I am very lucky to have access to a gym at work.  Even if we didn't have a gym, I would recommend a gym membership (especially one of those $10/month memberships).  I know a lot of financial gurus recommend cutting gym memberships, but my opinion is that going to the gym is better than not.  So stay motivated and go.  It helps to have a buddy to keep you committed.  I've found going to the gym keeps me from going to lunch and spending money running other errands.  It also should cut down on future health costs by maintaining a healthy lifestyle.  Win, win.

Avoid In Person and Online Shopping
I know a lot of times I will run errands at lunch time only to spend a fortune on things I don't really need or want.  Yes, it's fun to drop in at Target to break up the day, but you wind up spending more money that way.  Since I'm in the gym, I'm not running errands or if I need to run errands I make it a point to make a list and stick to it.  The same goes for online shopping.  Stay off your phone.  Your eyes probably need a break anyway and your wallet.  So I only go on if I need something specific and then close out.

So there you have it two birds with one stone: stay healthy and save money while at work.  It couldn't be better for you or your wallet.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Best Mac N Cheese on the Planet

3 Ingredient Glitter Slime

The Battle of Quality vs. Cheap