Save Money on Every Holiday

Yet another holiday. How did this happen? I feel like we just finished Christmas and now it's Easter? Also, since when did every holiday become a huge gift giving, commercial experience? Of course, I want to celebrate traditions with my family and I don't want to be a scrooge for every holiday. But, I also don't want to spend an arm and a leg year after year after year. These are some of the ways I save money on every holiday.

Do Not Go Crazy
As I already mentioned, it seems like every holiday is a time to go crazy. Don't do it. I allocate one new or special item per child and one candy item each to divide among them. Most of the holiday toys are junky and do not last. The kiddos also don't seem to care much about the holiday themed items after the holiday is over so feel free to pack them up and bring them out for next year. It seems like candy is also a way to celebrate every holiday, but we try to encourage healthy eating habits so having a few treats is okay, but no need to go crazy because it winds up getting thrown out anyway.

The Bin
I save a lot of money with the bin. Yes, a big, big bin (the 18 gallon bin at Target or Home Depot). First, I have a color coded bin (or two) for each holiday. Pink for Easter. Green for Christmas. Red for Patriotic Holidays like 4th of July and Memorial Day. You can use any coding system, but the colored bins are easy to identify in my storage space. In my bin, I store the same items for every year. For Easter, I know I need baskets, eggs, decorations. I also store items my children don't play with - stuffed bunnies, hats, bunny ears. This way I save a lot of money on the themed or decorative items that are needed every year. 

Shop After the Holiday

I like to shop the sales after the holiday. The key here is to NOT go crazy (see item 1 above). Make a budget and stick to it. For example, I may set aside $20 for new decorations or gifts for next year. I also keep my bin size in mind. I don't need 20 bins so if it won't fit in my existing bin it's a no go. Try to purchase items that will last until next year - so food items are out. For Easter, I like to stock up on egg dying kits, plastic eggs, decorations, and replacement items.

If It Costs Less than $10 to Buy New, Throw It Away
This is more of my advice on decluttering, but it is also a good way to save money. I try to avoid buying a lot of junky, low cost items, but my kids inevitably get them at school parties and from extended family. A week or so after the holiday, I will go through their stuff and throw away anything worth less than $10 (if it's not being saved in the bin). It's a good idea to do this after bed time so there is no begging and pleading from the kiddos. This keeps down on the clutter and helps to maintain my sanity, and ultimately it helps me to consciously decide whether or not to buy something with little to no value. 

So no need to scrap the holidays all together. Enjoy them with family and friends. Just set reasonable expectations for yourself and your family and keep that frivolous spending under control!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Best Mac N Cheese on the Planet

3 Ingredient Glitter Slime

The Battle of Quality vs. Cheap