The Dreaded Request for Homemade

There is nothing worse than a request for homemade. I work full time and have three children. The last thing I have time for is to make something homemade. As much as I want to support bake sales and contribute to family or friend get-togethers, I need fast, easy, and cheap options. Don't get me wrong - when I have the time I love to make homemade, but when under a time crunch this is my go to recipe.

So my secret - make something store bought look and feel homemade. The best way to do that is to use a melting chocolate. I really like using white chocolate, but the milk or dark chocolates work just as well. Next you need something to partially or fully coat. Cookies work beautifully. I'm a huge fan of pizzelle cookies. These used to only be available around Christmas, but now I can find them year round.  Sandwich cookies, like Oreos, also work really well. And last you need some sprinkles or toppings. This is where you can use your creativity or cater to the type of event - think red and green for Christmas, red and blue for 4th of July, pink for a girl's birthday or baby shower, etc.

Ingredients:
1 package store bought cookies -- I like pizzelle cookies
1 12 oz package of white chocolate chips -- easily substitute milk or dark chocolate
Toppings -- These can include sprinkles, extra chocolate chips, chopped nuts, broken pretzel pieces, and any other's in your imagination or pantry

Directions:
Melt white chocolate chips. I usually do about 1/2 of the package to save some as the topping for the cookies. In the microwave, heat the chips in 30 second increments thoroughly stirring each time. The chips can burn so monitor closely and stir vigorously. For 6 oz., chips are typically melted in about 2 minutes.  Take your cookies and using a spoon carefully coat melted chocolate on part or all of the cookies. For the pizzelles, I like coating half the cookie so the type of cookie is shown. For Oreos, I like to coat the entire cookie.  Be careful the mixture can be hot, although my kiddos love helping with this step. While the chocolate is still melted, sprinkle toppings on chocolate and shake off excess. If bigger pieces such as nuts, press lightly to embed slightly into the chocolate. Place cookies on a Silpat baking mat on a cookie sheet. Place cookies in refrigerator to harden. When ready to serve place cookies on dish or tray or individually wrap cookies in plastic for a bake sale. Everyone will be so impressed with your homemade masterpiece and you barely spent any time or money!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Best Mac N Cheese on the Planet

3 Ingredient Glitter Slime

The Battle of Quality vs. Cheap