Minimizing the Costs of Having Children

Having children does not need to be a financial death sentence. As reported in Time, the costs for raising one child through the age of 17 is $233,610! We have three! That does not even include the cost of college, medical expenses, or other unforeseen costs. While I love my children and want to provide the best for them, I believe part of that is also raising fiscally responsible children. Here are some of the ways that help keep the costs of raising children more reasonable and teach them the life skills necessary for a bright financial future.

Buy Used
We buy a lot of used merchandise. Although a product may have been loved by another family before does not mean that it does not still have a useful life left. This really keeps down on the high cost of buying new. It seems like the kiddos are always outgrowing clothes, venturing into new sports, or requesting new toys. I'm a huge fan of the bi-annual consignment sales that are often provided by local churches and schools. I assess the kiddos closets before I go, and I purchase only items I know that they need. It's important to keep in mind the costs of new items and make sure you are not overpaying. I also have no shame in haggling when I can. We have had great success especially buying special occasion outfits, winter coats, boots, one-time or short use items. This is great for items you know will only be used for a short period of time, such as season items, a holiday dress or fad toys.

Buy New for Quality
As much as I buy used, I also learned when to buy new. My girls are particularly rough on shoes so I like to purchase new shoes. I think it is worth spending a little more for quality items especially when they will be used every day. I do, however, limit the number of these items. My girls would have a dozen shoes each if I let them. They only require, however, one good pair of sneakers at a time until they are outgrown or demolished. When I buy new, I do like to shop around and compare prices online and in-store. I try to get the best pricing and shop sales, use coupons, and use websites that provide rewards or cash back.

Trade with Friends and Family
It is often the case that you tend to enter stages of life at the same time as your family and friends. We definitely made the mistake when our first child was born in buying a lot of items that we really did not need. The problem with a lot of baby and children's items is that they are used for a very short period of time. If you are able to pass down items, trade, or share items with family and friends, you can save a lot on these typically single use or short use items – think baby swings, baby tubs, clothes, etc. If you don't have this network of friends and family, the consignment model is also an effective way to recoup some of your costs.

Teach About Experiences
I'm a big fan of having family experiences instead of buying tangible objects. Anyone who has come to our home knows that I don't always succeed at this mission, but I try especially on weekends to encourage experiences over things. I've also found that our kiddos use their imagination and entertain themselves longer when they are left to improvise without many toys, gadgets, and gizmos. If you are looking for ways to save money on experiences, check out Before Your Next Outing You Must Find Discounted Tickets.

Work Toward a Goal
I learned a valuable lesson when I was a kid. I really wanted a new gaming system. Instead of getting it for my birthday or a holiday, my parents told me I could have it if I accumulated half of the money needed to purchase it on my own. I did chores and worked small jobs for a long time until I accumulated the money needed for the system (it took me over a year). It taught me several valuable lessons. First, if you want something, you need to work for it and earn it. Second, although I wanted something right away, I had to wait for it and it had more value to me in waiting for it. Third, I knew it was something I really wanted because I waited a long time and still wanted it. Fourth, I was proud of myself because I earned it. It is important for kids to have goals and to work toward something. If it is something they want, make sure they want it enough to work for it, and help them to understand the value of patience and money.

Volunteer
It is also important that children learn about giving to others. We recently organized a litter clean up in our neighborhood. My oldest was not thrilled with spending our Saturday morning picking up trash. After a few minutes of helping, she was excited to find the next piece of trash and put it in the bag. It may be the small things in life, but seeing her participate and be happy about it was really important to me. While I want my children to be children, it is also important that they respect the planet and learn how to help others.

Open a Bank Account
Whether your child is involved with the management of their account or not, it is really important to open a custodial account for each of your children. If you are interested in college savings accounts, check out You Haven't Signed Up for 529 Yet? Do It Now! I also have savings accounts and investment accounts for my kiddos. When they receive money for Christmas, their birthday, or otherwise earn money, they need to save at least half of the gift in their account. This teaches them to save for the future. Also, I know that we will not be able to help with all of their future expenses so this provides a means for them to help their future selves as well, and I know some day they will be very happy to have access to that money.

Look don't get me wrong, kids are expensive. But it is critical to keep those costs in check with your personal financial goals and it is important that children learn those valuable life lessons too.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Best Mac N Cheese on the Planet

Southwest Corn and Black Bean Salad

DIY High-End Cheese Plate