Stop the Grocery Store Monster Part 2 - Effective Ways to Use the Groceries You Already Buy




In my first installment of Stop the Grocery Store Monster - Effective Ways to Cut Food Costs, I discussed some of my tips for keeping food costs under control when grocery shopping. In this installment, I discuss ways to effectively use the food you already buy and keeping food costs in check by purchasing the correct items.

Shredded Cheese
I rarely buy shredded cheese because the price per pound is too high. I also learned that they add starch to shredded cheese as a preservative. With some family members subscribing to a Keto-friendly diet, we prefer to make our own shredded cheese. But, frankly, who has the time and arm strength to shred a block of cheese? Therefore, I cut blocks of cheese into smaller cubes and shred them in the food processor. I pulse the food processor several times until the blocks of cheese are broken down and then place the shredded cheese in a re-sealable bag to be used throughout the week. Voila - shredded cheese at a fraction of the price with little hassle.

Citrus Fruits
We love using limes and lemons in recipes. I can't even have guacamole without lime juice anymore ;). Unfortunately, citrus fruits are not always great at giving up their juice with your typical hand juicer. While I like to use a fork or hand juicer, I have found the most effective way to extract the most juice is by microwaving the entire fruit for about 10-30 seconds. Make sure the fruit is cool enough to handle and then cut the fruit in half and juice with a fork or hand juicer. I paid for that fruit, it better give up all of its juice! Also, if you want any zest, be sure to zest before juicing.

Cleaning Solutions
I've found that cleaning supplies can get really expensive fast. What's great is I can basically get away with two primary cleaners: (1) an all purpose bleach cleaner; and (2) a glass cleaner. The all purpose bleach cleaner is basically one part household chlorine bleach to nine parts water (e.g., 1/2 cup bleach with about 4 cups water). I have a spray bottle than you can typically get for a dollar and I use the cleaner primarily for the kitchen and bathrooms. The solution is a great disinfectant and general multi-purpose cleaner. Be sure to first check in an inconspicuous spot for any unwanted bleaching of sensitive surfaces. An effective glass cleaner is equal parts vinegar and water (e.g., 1 cup vinegar and 1 cup water). The vinegar solution is effective at removing film from glass surfaces and leaving glass with a streak-free shine.

Food Storage
Pay attention to how you are storing your foods. There is nothing worse than having groceries go bad before you have a chance to use them. I always check produce to make sure it is not wet before I put it away. I never wash fruits until we are ready to eat them. I wrap the tops of bananas with plastic wrap to prevent over-ripening. I place a paper towel in the bag with lettuce to absorb any moisture. We also like to keep fruit like apples, bananas, and oranges on the counter in a bowl so the kiddos always have easy access to a healthy snack.

Stock Up on the Basics
I always have my go to items on hand - frozen vegetables, pasta, tomato sauce, rice, tortillas, stuffing mix, cheese. I also try to shop sales on these items and stock up when they are reduced. Be careful not to overbuy, however. I always check the expiration dates and make sure we will use the items in that time period. By having the basics always handy, it's easy to make a quick and easy dinner from what you have on hand or even leftovers. We always love playing a game of "Chopped" for dinner.

So here are some of the ways that we make the most of our grocery bill, do you have any more?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Best Mac N Cheese on the Planet

3 Ingredient Glitter Slime

The Battle of Quality vs. Cheap